Here's a little insight into my life...

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Divergent - Film review


Seeing this film was one of the best £4.30 I have ever spent, and did not even deserve an orange wednesday visit, I would have paid full price, VIP and even for the bloody popcorn to see this film, and if I wasn't a student, I'd treat my whole family to a trip to the IMAX or something, such a successful adaptation.

I had my speculations about this film after watching the trailer, I do not think Shailene Woodley came across as Tris Prior in the trailer and I honestly thought Four (Tobias Eaton) was going to be one of those brooding love interests who I don't believe comes across as desirable at all. This is possibly my favourite book of all time (NOTE: not trilogy), so obviously I am very protective over it so was reluctant in some ways to see the film, but I am so glad I did!

The first thing that struck me was the way they did not shy away from any of the brutality in the fight scenes and Eric was just as cruel as I hoped he would be. The casting was actually perfect, I couldn't tell that half the actors were English (though Marcus may as well as just have been made Irish because there was no masking that accent) and no one made me cringe into my seat the way some actors do who act in Young Adult movies like this.

The film was well explained, even for viewers who may not have read the book, I feel would have been able to understand it, the Dauntless compound was just as I pictured it to be and the film ran at a good pace; no parts were rushed and nor do I think any were dragged out, the right scenes were cut and the screenplay was just right.

Now lets talk about Theo James. I was devastated when he was cast, I know I was being waaaay over-dramatic which I have a large tendency to do but I did not like him, did not think he would fit the part and did not admire any of his other work. It's safe to say that's changed now, do I think someone else should have played Four? Yes, don't ask me who but I still feel there was something just missing from Theo that I can't really explain but his casting wasn't a disaster. He has a good acting ability and is very easy on the eye, I believed there was chemistry between him and Shailene and honestly think there is more to come for him in the future, he's like a new Rupert Grint, massively underrated but no one can deny he has talent.

The only thing I would have liked to have seen was a more dramatic transformation from Tris, I noticed that she was wearing pretty heavy eye make-up whilst she was in Abegnation which I didn't think was accurate and I would have liked to have seen the scene where she chooses out some new Dauntless clothes and wears make-up for the first time, would have signposted her character's development nicely!

I have heard a lot of controversy about the 'intimacy scene' in Tris' fear landscape. I've heard it comes across that she is afraid of rape and after watching the film I understand why it's been interpreted in that way. I feel the director crossed the line between force and submission, it does look like Four is trying to force Tris to have sex with him even though that's not exactly what happens in the book. I don't think the director knew it would come across in this way so I don't blame him, but what do you guys think? Do you think it's a completely inappropriate addition to the film?

Nevertheless, I believe all other aspects were perfect. I was so happy when almost every song was by Ellie Goulding because she is literally my idol and the kissing scene was made that much better by her haunting voice. 

I would recommend anyone reading this goes to see it and I hope I haven't given too much away!

Over and out x

No comments:

Post a Comment